TWO MAIN RESOURCES TO HELP YOU MOVE FORWARD IN YOUR JOURNEY TO IMPROVE YOUR HEALTH AND FITNESS

Beginning a journey to improve your health and fitness can be a daunting task.  Couple that with all of the crazy information that is out there, it's no wonder people struggle to reach their goals. Sometimes at no fault of their own.

My aim is to make sure that everyone that visits this page and engages with our community is able  to keep making progress, whether it be small or large, through the resources that are provided, the motivation everyone brings, and lastly, the ideas that are shared.

As the community continues to grow, I'll update this post and add more content to it so this can act as the one stop shop to help get you going.

Let's begin with your nutrition first.

Whether you are trying to gain weight or lose weight, it comes down to calories.  There is a huge debate around the idea of calories and whether or not the idea of "calories in, calories out" is an antiquated concept, but for now, this is the best "tool" we have in order to get started.

Just having the amount of calories needed to reach your goal isn't enough though, we also need to break this down into individual macronutrients.  Also known as proteins, carbohydrates, and fats. I'll go into further detail on what each one of these do for the body in another post.

If you are unsure how to find out your calories and macronutrient breakdown, follow this link to find a handy macro calculator: http://www.evolvedathletix.com/caloriemacro-calculator.html

Once you have this figured out, you can use apps like MyFitnessPal or Macros+ to keep track of your calories and macros.  However, I will stress that you make sure to follow what is given to you from the calculator and not what the app gives you.  Also, there is no guidelines as to what you can, or cannot, eat.  Just follow your macro numbers and be consistent.  This is something that I'm sure we'll talk more about as a community over time, but to get you started, just follow your macro numbers.

Before I move on to the topic of exercise, I want to be abundantly clear that nutrition is very fluid. By this I mean that there is no one pattern of eating that is going to be better than another, for instance, at the time of this article being written, intermittent fasting has become extremely popular.  Before that it was Paleo, before that I'm sure it was something else. The one thing remains the same, calories matter.  

With that being said, your calories and macros may adjust depending on personal factors.  Training, medications, sleep habits, any kind of lifestyle factor or illness, may impact your calories and macros. Just remain vigilant, and we can figure it out as a community, or if you want more specific help, you can send me a message and I'll try to help as best as I can.

Next up, EXERCISE.

To make this as easy as possible, check out the full body workout program here: http://www.evolvedathletix.com/workout-programs.html

This is weight training based program, so if you are not at the stage that you are ready for weight training, then try to pick something that is within your limit. It doesn't really matter what it is, as long as you are able to complete it and then continue to build from it.  

My recommendation is to track your workouts and try to keep them between 30 and 60 minutes. I can only think of two reason as to why you would want, or need, to go over that. The first is you're training for something specific and this requires you to train longer. The other is you like working out that long, however, depending on your goal, this may actually make it harder for you to reach goal. If this is the case, try increasing the intensity of the workout and keep it between 30 and 60 minutes.

These two things should help you get started and moving forward. Don't overthink this process, keep it simple and if you have to, implement one thing and start with that.  After a few weeks, add the other one in. 

This isn't a race, don't rush it.

And if all else fails, you have a whole community to help you move forward.  Don't be afraid to ask for help.