You've spent countless hours in the gym working towards a better version of yourself, but the gyms are closed. Now you're forced to either complete an at-home workout or stop working out all together. Quite the pickle to be in.

What are you to do?

With a little thought and planning, working out at home can help maintain what you've spent so much time working on in the gym. Better yet, you might even be able to continue making progress.

When you're really in a pinch, at-home workouts aren't just great for maintaining muscle. They can double as a great form of cardio as well.

I've been fortunate to have bought some weight equipment before we went into quarantine. But, I can tell you from experience that home workouts are as effective. There were times when I thought I wouldn't go back to a gym because my workouts were just as good.

The first thing I noticed is my cardio went up dramatically, mainly because I was getting more cardio than I was. Remember, these workouts are great for resistance training. They are also elevating your heart rate to the point where you're essentially getting a cardiovascular workout as well.

So what exactly is an "at-home workout"?

Not to be funny, but an at-home workout is a workout that you do at home with or without equipment. They tend to be made up of exercises that use your body weight. They also use non-traditional exercises (movements not usually done in a gym because of the large availability of equipment).

Your imagination is the limit, and you have a large imagination.

This can be one of the most daunting tasks for people looking to create and exercise program. Most people don't know what to do, and they make it more complicated than it needs to be.

So where do you start?

Well, keep this in mind. You're developing a simple routine for yourself, start with movements that work larger muscle groups first. Work your way through to smaller muscle groups.

If you don't have a strong understanding of human anatomy, investing a little time will pay off in the long run. Or you could reach out to others in the fitness community to help you out.

Warm-ups versus Workouts

This can be a little tricky because some movements you can do during your workout, can be used as a warm-up exercise. Let's do this, let's define a warm-up as a set of movements done in a controlled fashion. The intent is to increase muscle temperature, gradually increase heart rate, and prepare the body for more strenuous activity.

These movements may be general (e.g., calisthenics) or specific (e.g., large muscle movements), to provide rehearsal of an activity (e.g., swinging a golf club). The choice is up to you, my suggestion would be to think about what your goal is and work backwards from there.

How to change it up

Changing up your at-home workout can be as easy as swapping out exercises. You could increase or decrease rest periods or the tempo of the exercise you are completing. There are many options that you option are boundless, which is nice, but can lead to confusion.

The way you change up your workouts are going to be dependent on what kind of workout program you are following. Remember, the idea here is to preserve the progress you've made in the gym, but to keep making progress moving forward.

Here are a few other ways you can change you workouts up:

1. Change rest periods (mentioned above)
  2. Change tempo, speed of the exercise movement (mentioned above)
  3. Modify exercise, angle of movement
  4. Use more or less weight (if it's available)

Different at-home workout routines

Before I wrap up this article, I wanted to point out that there are several methods of completing at-at home workouts. Here are a few that you can set up and complete in a short period of time:

1. Interval Training
  2. Circuts
  3. AMRAP (as much reps as possible)
  4. Cross-Training
  5. Isometrics
  6. Plyometrics
  7. Yoga
  8. Weight Training (if they're available)

As you can see, there are many routines that you could have done from home. The beauty of at-home workouts are you never have to go very far to be able to get a good workout in.

Keep this in mind as you begin to explore the various at-home workouts that you can do. The end result that you once were set on, might not be the same results you get now that your situation has changed. This doesn't mean you can't still make progress. It just means that you may have to alter you expectations slightly.

So what are you waiting for?

Now that you have armed yourself with some simple ways to begin your at-home workout, you have nothing left to stop you. Take a week or two and try out each method to see what you like and don't like. That way, once you find something you like, you can begin developing a routine around it.

Here's the deal, if you're still stuck, post a comment below and let's get the rest of the community involved. We're here to help.

Lastly, if you think you got it, let's see what kind of workout you came up with. Post it in the comments and let's trade some ideas.